Thursday, July 19, 2007

The whole truth

I feel like I have told a lie. The trip on the 4th was fun but a few unfortunate things happened and I didn't tell about them because I wanted to have a fun blog, not a sad one. My sister had let me know that I need to blog it so here it goes.

First of all my sister Judy and her family were going to come and stay with us on the 1st and then on the 2nd we were going to drive to Birch Bay together, well her car broke down in central Oregon and she ended up staying at Bend with our parents. It set a bad stage for the rest of the trip.

On the 2nd we packed out car and van (George was going to come home on the 5th) and we headed out. We made it through all the cities with out hitting all of the rush hour traffic so I was happy about that, we were around Lacey Washington, when this bullet bike went screaming past us. We had two way radio's and George was talking to me about how fast the guy must have been going, we figure he was going 120 or more. Well in the next breath George let me know the guy had wrecked, by the time we had slowed down we were at the scene of the accident, it was sad the guy was for sure gone, we couldn't help but feel a little shook up about it. So sad, he couldn't have been very old and my heart went out to the Mom and Dad of this young man. I think my son will not have a motorcycle, not while he lives with me. It was just a tragedy. Needless to say that accident made it so that Mom and Dad and Judy and Marc were slowed way down, they were behind us by a couple of hours so you know it was a bad accident if it slows traffic for that long.

So on the Third we just enjoyed each other and went to canada and played at the bay. When we went to Canada we went in two vehicles. Mom, Dad,Judy and Marc in the car and then we had all of the kids with us. Since we had never left the country with our kids, we were a little nervous and then we had Judy and Marc's girls so we were a little nervous. Nothing happened until we were coming back home, the guard put a sticker on my Dad's car and they had to go be checked. We were told we would have to leave in case there was any problems with anything, so we pulled across the street and waited. We were probably there for 30 minutes and the problem ended up being that my sisters Passport was not printed right, it was just a bunch of gibberish. Lucky for us she doesn't look like a criminal so they let her come back to the good ole USA!!!

On the fourth we went to Blaine for it's parade, the kids enjoyed it, they got candy and all the fun stuff from parades. Then we went back to Birch Bay to relax and have fun. We had a yummy barbque and then when it started getting dark we went down by the bay and saved ourselves some spots so we could set off some fireworks (George's favorite thing to do, or one of them). We had some chairs set up and a blanket down in front of the chairs for the kids to sit on. When it got dark people were setting fireworks off like crazy, they were everywhere and in Washington you can send off the ones that have mortars and go up high and explode, so we were doing this for some time and this is where I am not sure what happened because I was looking up watching some fireworks and when I look down at George he is running toward us, the kids are jumping up and running and so I naturally jumped up and out of the way, there were fireworks shooting at us, total chaos. This all happened in about 2 seconds. George had seen the guy next to us light his firework and he noticed it was tipping over so he was running to save the kids and had his arms stretched out to hopefully get hit first. But what really happened was it skimmed the inside of his thigh we are not sure if it hit Emma and Cortnee or if they just got hit with flying debree but they got hit and then it hit my Mom!!!! After all the Chaos and we had a second to look around, my mom was tipped over in her chair and my Dad had a look of major concern on his face and so here is the scary part, I thought my mom was dead. I know I shouldn't write that but I would be lying if I said anything else. The string from her jacket was on her face and it was dark and I thought it was blood. She finally opened her eyes and said she was ok and that it hadn't hit her, so we were all glad she hadn't gotten hit. We walked her to her room and that is when she pulled up the sleeve of her shirt and looked at her arm, she had a bruise the size of a softball on her upper arm and then when she got in the shower she had a bruise and a sore on her thigh.

So my Mom got hit by the mortar, she didn't notice at first she was just trying to get out of her chair to get out of the way and that is when she tipped over, knocking her head on the rocks and so that was what she noticed first. Then she noticed the other things. We think that the mortar hit her in the arm, landed in her lap and exploded and that is why she has the sore on her thigh.
That was not a fun way to end the fourth of July, we are soooo thankful that it wasn't worse.

The next day my Mom said she was feeling ok and that she had finally slept well, her head hurt her pretty good, but we gave her advil and she had some frozen peas to put on her head. Good ole frozen peas, awesome ice pack if you need it.

The next day, George decided to stay with me and Grandpa, Marc, Ashlee, Cortnee, Hope and Emma went deep sea fishing and Grandma, Judy, George,Lora,Jackie and Tayler went to a cute little town called Lynden and walked around, bought some yummy fudge and pies and then we went home.

Friday we went to whideby island, Saturday we just stayed at the resort, Judy and Marc went to Seattle and Sunday we found a church and went to the first ward by Bellingham, but I can't remember the name of the town. Monday we packed and headed for home and on the way home that is when I got a flat tire and we already know that story, but now you know the rest of the story (love Paul Harvey).

2 comments:

happy mom said...

I bet that was hard to tell, I am sorry, but I am glad that you did. thanks, and I am so glad that everyone was okay, it was a very eventful trip. and Judy found out she had a bad passport! you guys had quite the trip, I am glad it was still fun, and mom is fine. She came home and my kids gave her the stomach flu. Poor mom.

The two old crows said...

I am glad everyone is okay. George and Sid know alittle what can happen with fireworks when they fall over. Thank you for sharing, I'm glad your mother is okay it could have be so much worse.

Love you all