Saturday, December 15, 2007

Yummy challah bread




Take a deep deep breath, can you smell it? Jackie is baking again!!! YAHOO, she is the kitchen whiz and I love it!!

The recipe is yummy and looks awesome too.

Challah bread

1 tbsp. Dry yeast

1/2 cup milk

2 tbsp. Butter

2 tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt

2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cup flour ( flour is an estimate)

1 egg

Topping:You will need to do this on day two:

1 egg yolk mixed with a little water

1 tsp. Poppy seed (optional)

Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Combine milk, butter, sugar, and salt until the sugar dissolves. Stir in 1 cup flour. Beat well. Add egg beat well. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. Bag in a zip lock and put in fridge.

Day two:

Divide dough into thirds. Roll each third into a rope: braid strands and secure ends. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake ate 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Awesome Jackie! I'm so excited that you're enjoying cooking, it gives me hope for my kiddos. And Challah bread, I have a friend here who really wanted the recipe and instructions, so thanks! I'll have to try it out myself. ~Stace

Kelli said...

Ok, I tried this yesterday! It was so easy and it is yummmmy! Thanks for the great recipe! Hope you guys have a great Christmas.

The two old crows said...

That does look yummy Jackie. Another one of your great talents, keep it up.

happy mom said...

I hope one of my kids loves to cook someday. It would be nice.