Sunday, August 10, 2008

Finished


Thursday Tayler and I, his friend Tony and his Mom and Tony's sister went on a twenty mile hike. After all of these hikes there are a few things we have learned.
1) Always pack more food than you will ever eat, it will make you happy to carry it all day and then take it home and put it back in the fridge :)
2) Always hike with a good buddy, you will have way more fun that way.
3) Duct tape is a girls/guys best friend, the picture below makes it look like it wouldn't work but for me it does the trick.

4) Take a good look at your shoes, do they look like the kind of shoes that can take you twenty miles? Also enjoy your feet and the fact that they are not aching and feel pretty good in the early morning before the crazy hike, chances are that those feet might still ache days after.
5) Don't look to closely at this little guys eyes (below), the guilt might kill you when you shut the door and hear his sad little whine. He knows you are going to do something fun without him.6) If you are hiking along, trying to not think about the many miles ahead of you that day and someone looks down and sees this little guy looking at you. Make sure you pull out your cell phone and get a good picture and then make sure you push it around gently so that you can see it's wing is broken and above all else pull out some socks put them on your hands and be brave and hope the little thing won't bite you, pick it up, and walk with him until a ranger comes along and takes the poor wounded bird to safety. Make sure you feel good about doing your good deed for the day :)

8 comments:

Tina said...

You are a better woman than I. I think my longest hike was 9 miles (at least that I remember) and it about KILLED me! Sounds like you guys are having a great summer!

The two old crows said...

It sounds like you are having a great time. I love all you tell us even though it makes me giggle. I still remember the great hike my dad and I used to take in Oregon and more especailly in Utah.

Bainter Family Antics said...

You are a much better mother than me. I couldn't go on a 20 mile hike unless an ambulance was standing at the ready! Steve does the scouting stuff around here. We are so lucky to have him since scouting missed my genes.

Steven said...

I'm envious. I really miss going hiking. Hiking out here in Maryland just doesn't have the same appeal that it did in Utah. The humidity kills me.

Stacey said...

Twenty miles? Yeah... one more merit badge out of the way. Duct tape, that's a new one for me but it looks like it could be worth its weight in gold if you needed it. Was it used before or after the blisters formed?

Congrat, Tayler!

~Stacey

Ceci said...

hiking is definately not my thing. if i had to hike 20 miles i would sit on my butt and cry.

young family said...

I use the duct tape before the blister, I put it in areas where I always get them. It really is nice. Mole skin never did the trick for me.

happy mom said...

I have to laugh at the duct tape picture, you really have to look at it closely to know what you are looking at! You rock, I want to go on a 20 mile hike! and carring a bird, did you do that? or did Tayler, and who thought to have extra socks? way to plan it!!!