Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Heroes

I like giving blood.

Some people don't, and I used to be one of them.

My first time "trying" to donate was a disaster (to me). It was at Women's conference and there were thousands of women donating. We walked in they gave us a name tag with little boxes to be checked off as we moved through the process. I did fine until they took my blood pressure, it was a little high, they asked me if I was nervous. Ummmm nervous is a nice way of putting how I feel about needles and most things medical. My blood pressure didn't go down so they wouldn't take my blood.

Giving Blood became my shame. I was so embarrassed because I couldn't do it. It took me some time but then I set out on a mission to overcome my fear and embarrassment.

Second time donating blood, I dragged my friend along. We didn't have a lot of time because she had a Kindergarten student and we drove together (that way I couldn't get out of it). We go, I passed the blood pressure test and they took my blood. It didn't end so easily. I got light headed and this little tiny nurse (probably 4 foot something and only weighed 90 lbs.) wheeled my lounge chair over to the side and made me sit there for a long time. My poor friend had to wait for me. So that is two embarrassing stories.

Third time donating. I passed everything again :) I decided to let them know that my last time donating I got light headed. The embarrassing part is that the person taking my blood says in a loud voice "Could I get some help, laying her down?" Then they put my lounge chair down so that I am out flat. I have never seen any one else do this but it works for me. I don't get light headed and I can leave.

Why am I telling you all about this. Because I think donating blood is a very good thing, you save lives! Isn't that amazing! I can't be a doctor,nurse or EMT because I faint at the sight of blood but I can give blood and not watch :) Give blood, it makes you feel good! Kinda like a Hero!

8 comments:

The two old crows said...

I used to give blood faithfully until we lived at the Tenny. Then twice I almost passed out after about an hour. I tried it one more time when we moved to Sutherland and waited about 4 hours to fix dinner and about passed out again. So I haven't given blood since.

young family said...

I hope to be able to do it for a long time also.

Sally Young said...

I gave blood ONCE! Ken and I both went. Ken gave blood felt great. I passed out in the middle. I have never wanted to go through that ordeal again. So I am greatful to people that can give blood. A few years back Ken had brain surgery and I was thankful for the people that donated blood. I look at giving blood in a whole new light now! But it turned out I had low iron and cannot give blood.

Tina said...

You are a HERO, I never even done it!!

Becky said...

I've given blood 2 times. I couldn't finish the first time cuz I almost passed out. The 2nd time I warned them first and they had me lay down, put cold compresses on my chest and back, and had me drink water the entire time. It went very smoothly. I was just glad to do it. But I am such a wuss with needles that I will pass out with vaccinations and any tests that involve them. (I can poke others, I just can't be poked). Sad, but true!

Stacey said...

HERO!!! Yep, that's you. I remember going to the Stake Center with you!!! How fun was that!

If all goes as planned, I'll be a hero this Saturday - without the boostier, sparkly hotpants and an invisible jet. lol Although, if I had an invisible jet, I'd visit a lot more often!

~Stacey

Judy said...

I am proud of you. I was very nervous in college and wouldn't ever do it. But finally I did and was pretty consistent. I have gratefully never had a problem so that does help. Plus my blood type is the universal blood type of o negative. So I used to get calls all of the time. Anyway, keep it up. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Lora I am so proud of you for keeping at it. Your the best for overcoming your fear Love ya
Ruth Ann