Friday, October 24, 2008

Love Languages

I have heard about the five love languages for couples but had never heard of the five love languages for children. This book is amazing, for me as a mother and as a child. I think it is well worth reading.

A short review of it: It says that we all hear the words "I love you" from our parents and those around us, and we might even know it but do we "feel" loved. We each have a love language and if we are not being "talked to" in that language we won't feel loved.

The Languages are: Quality time, Words of affirmation, Gifts, Acts of service, Physical touch.
If those around us are not talking to us the way we need then our bucket may be empty, so it makes life harder. Which in children makes them withdraw from family or act out in ways that we as parents don't understand and don't like. It does say that just because you talk a child's language does not mean they won't ever rebel, but that they will feel loved and most likely not rebel as much as they will if they don't feel loved. Any way I really enjoyed this book and will be trying harder to realize each of my children's love languages, and thought some of you might like this book and find it helpful also.

6 comments:

Stacey said...

My friend Charity was telling me about Love Languages the other day, so I was really excited to see your review for the LL for Kiddos. That's now on top of my to read list. See, now you've gone and made me feel all 'behind the curve'! I suppose I should try and keep up! lol Good luck with that, Stace!

~Stacey

PS. You're the cool one... I'm just trying to win you over. "Lora, Lora... don't you want to go to Idaho... Lora"

Rachel said...

I've never heard of these books, but this one definitely sounds like it's worth reading. Thanks for the book review! :)

Tina said...

It does seem like something I could use. Even grown children need love and I need to figure out how to give it!

Bainter Family Antics said...

O my gosh we did that at my girls camp and guess what i was a Physical Touch. Ha ha when the lady said that one we were all like akward but she was like uh no that means something else not what we were thinking.
Ceci

happy mom said...

I need this book! Did you find it at the library or buy it? but just because you could find it at the library doesn't mean I can, but I can try! thanks for the research!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a great book! It has helped so much! Sorry it has been awhile! I'm getting behind!

Janille