Monday, June 30, 2008

Oh what do you do in the summertime?

I have always loved this song, I used to lay (or is it lie) by the side of a little ditch that ran along the side of our house and sing this song (I really liked to sing). My favorite part is "Do you lazily dream on the banks (get it?) as the clouds go by", there was just something about that song that touched my soul I guess. I think it just talks about my childhood. I loved to watch the clouds and make out shapes of animals and anything we could come up with. I liked to swing in the trees, I spent 3/4 of my childhood in a tree I think. Amazingly enough I never broke a bone even though I fell from 3/4 of the trees in our yard :) I loved "sleeping out" we (me and my siblings) would take all the sleeping bags and probably all of my Mom's blankets outside and sleep as often as we could. My favorite time to sleep out was on the 23rd of July, because our town of Fairview would wake us up early with fireworks (the ones that just boom) and then shortly after that some of the older gentlemen in our town would come by on a flat bed trailer playing songs on the piano and guitars. Our neighbor Mr. Nordstrom could play his guitar and a harmonica at the same time (truly amazing, I thought he was like a magician). I also, believe it or not, marched in some parades. Not sure how much I liked that. One year I dressed up like an Indian and wrapped up my doll in a papoose, I still have that costume. I am very nastalgic.

My main reason for this post was I have been thinking about what we have been doing since school let out about two weeks ago.

Hope got her drivers licence, YAY!!
Jackie got her permit, YAY!!
My sister came to visit, YAY!!
Hope and Jackie went to girls camp, YAY!!
Tayler just left for scout camp, YAY!!

We have done all these things and I am wondering will my children later on sit down at a computer and think back on these times with fondness? I hope so.

3 comments:

happy mom said...

Hey, I just got all caught up on you guys! when I get so behind I don't have time to comment on every post, but I love all these pictures, you are all professionals in your photography, I want to come visit!

I have always loved this song as well, but I remember singing it when I was swinging on the swingset, just looking up a the sky and I was so little then and our swingset was so large, I remember feeling like I was really in the air! fun memories, and I hope my children enjoy their childhood as well.

love you all!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember people singing, but I never slept outside on the 23rd to hear them I guess. But I do remember Fire Trucks with their horns going. Wasn't Fairview the BEST! I miss it so much! Thanks for the memories.

Stacey said...

To get all nostalgic... Summer would last forever and school seemed so far away.

I loved to swing as high and as fast as I could, closing my eyes to feel the sensation of what I considered to be like flying.

When I was seven, I had a pair of pale yellow Tweety Bird short-shorts and a matching white tank top mom bought for me at Kmart in Puyallup and a rainbow, diagonally striped swimsuit.

I would chase Grandmas hens around the yard and eat raw green onions dipped in a pile of table salt with Grandpa.

Campouts in the back yard and scraping dried moss off the rooftop.

That's what I did in the summertime!

~Stacey