Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snowed In

Apparently we are going to be snowed in this whole week before Christmas. It snowed on Sunday, church was canceled and the kids have been out of school for two days and it is supposed to snow tomorrow, Thursday and on the weekend.

What better to do on a cold winter day than make soup! Here are some of our favorites.

West African Chicken Peanut Soup.

2 cups diced cooked chicken

1 1/3 cup diced onion

3 tsp. minced garlic

4 T. dark sesame oil

3 tsp. curry powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp dried red pepper flakes

6 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup tomato paste

2 cups diced stewed tomatoes

6 T chunky peanut butter

In a large pot, saute the chicken, onion, and garlic in sesame oil for about 10 minutes until the onion is tender. Add the curry powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute more.

Add the chicken broth, tomato past, stewed tomatoes, and peanut butter, stirring until well-combined. Heat until very hot but not boiling.

Cumin Flatbread (Morocco) (Eat with chicken peanut soup)

1 1/3 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)

1 T dry yeast

3 T extra-virgin olive oil

2 1/4 t. course salt

2 t ground cumin

3 cups bread flour

Place warm water in bowl of mixer. Sprinkle yeast over and stir to combine. Let stand 10 minutes.

Add oil, salt, and ground cumin.

Using the dough hook, gradually beat in flour. Continue beating 5 minutes

Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth-about 2 minutes. Dough will be very soft.

Place in plastic bag and let rise in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Brush 12X18 baking sheet with olive oil.

Place dough in pan. Using fingertips, press out dough. covering pan completely (dough will be very thin). Lightly oil the top of the bread.

Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm or at room temperature.

(Very yummy together, the soup is spicey. Sorry this is double spacing?)

Another Favorite is Minestrone soup (Serves 16-20)

1/2 cup olive oil .................2 cups canned tomatoes...................2 lg. onions, chopped

2 T basil .................... 2 carrots,sliced ....................2 cloves garlic

2 stalks celery, sliced................1/2 head cabbage, chopped.....................2 lg potatoes, diced

1 can red beans (14 oz)..............1 can green beans.................... 1 cup shell macaroni

1 can garbanzo beans (14 oz)...........salt to taste .................12 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)

Heat oil in a stock pot, add onion and fry until soft but not brown. Add everything except cabbage and pasta. Simmer several hours until thick. Just before serving, add cabbage and past. Cook for additional 20 minutes or until cabbage and pasta are tender.

If you make this Minestrone you will never want to eat at Olive Garden again. Really it is that good! Enjoy and stay warm.

6 comments:

Emma said...

That soup was really good, and spicy! The bread was my favorite!

Rachel said...

Soup is my favorite thing to make & to eat. These both sound so yummy, & I can't wait to try them.

Tina said...

Lora, I got your request to be added to Lincoln's blog. I must not have your correct e-mail address because I already sent an invitation . . . I'll send another, but I'm thinking I need you to e-mail me. I also e-mailed you a while back for your mailing address so that I could send you a Christmas card. I haven't sent it yet, because I don't have your address! Anyhow, can you send me a message so I can get all on my agenda done? Thanks!! Love you all.

The two old crows said...

Those soups sound delicious. I have have Noah and Stevie home sick today and I'm just making plain old vegetable and hamburger soup.

Stacey said...

Oh, I'm warming up just reading all those yummy ingredients! What a worldly, exciting soup selection. I'll have to try them out.

It's freezing here, more snow expected from Thursday thru next Tuesday! Got out of going to SLC because I really, REALLY hate driving through all that snow!

~Stacey

happy mom said...

you guys are quite the cooks! maybe I might get the energy to try it sometime! I still don't like to cook!