Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 18: Savannah, Charleston and Jacksonville

Savannah Georgia is full of things to see and so much history, we barely even skimmed the surface.  I wanted to see some cool old buildings, so off we went in search of cool things.  This is the Wormsloe plantation.  This driveway is I think 2 miles long and is lined with over 400 oak trees.  We didn't go further than this because it cost a lot and I thought this was cool enough for free.

I read in a book that Savannah is the most Haunted City in the U.S.  I was thinking some of these places would be really creepy at night.  I was glad we were here in the daylight :)  I just loved all the oak trees dripping with spanish moss. 

 We went to the house where Sherman had his headquarters during the civil war.  Kind of cool.  Madison Square, and lot's of older houses that were here during the Civil War.  I have to admit I don't remember much but some of the stuff sounded familiar.  I need to find some more books to read.





 The picture up above was a cool old porch we walked past, and the pic below was interesting also.
After Savannah we headed to Charleston South Carolina.  Another city full of history.  We had a yummy lunch and headed out to Drayton Hall.  The oldest plantation around.  We didn't go inside but the grounds were beautiful.  Very fascinating.  I can imagine in it's day it was even more grande than I can even imagine.


Proof we were here.  Emma, Tayler and Hope

Emma, wishing for the one she loves :)

Sad because he didn't come :(

Awesome Bridge
 We left  Drayton Hall and headed for Jacksonville North Carolina.  This is where Hope and Ryley lived.  We are here to meet some old friends that are still here.  It will be nice to stay here for a few days.

2 comments:

The two old crows said...

Beautiful City and your pictures are gorgeous. Love your Spanish moss pictures.

Tina said...

I've not been to Charleston . . . WANT TO GO really bad!!!

Savannah is wonderful! Love that hanging moss! So romantic.

And the beach . . . . . yes, so warm down there in the south. NICE!