Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day 24: Norfolk

We went to Fort Monroe today, I had never heard of it before, or so I thought.  This Fort has had famous people like John Smith, Edgar A. Poe, and Harriet Tubman stay or be stationed here.  I had no idea they had all been here, but I have read and heard things about these three people for sure so I have probably heard about Fort Monroe, just didn't remember.
Gate we drove through to get into Fort Monroe

 Robert E. Lee lived here



 I was amazed to find out that Fort Monroe was retired in 2011.   
 These arches are barely tall enough for me to walk through, and that was right down the middle.  Most of them I had to duck.
 Not sure if you can read this but Fort Monroe was the first Fort that refused to return slaves to the Confederate army, a Union commander declared slaves as "contraband of war." The news spread quickly and soon hundreds of contrabands were seeking the protection of Fort Monroe.
 This picture was to show how thick the walls are, and the walls down below.  

 We all got a kick out of this guys mustache :)
 Tayler and Emma victorious!
 Cool canon.  I find the tree very fascinating also, I just like how it looks.
After Fort Monroe we went back to the Hotel.  Emma and I went for a walk on the beach and we all just relaxed.  For dinner we drove to Fort Eustis to see Kolten.  It was nice to see him.  He had texted me that he would be outside on a bench, but I had to call him anyway because all these military men look the same :) Went and had pizza, I hope he liked it :)  It was fun visiting him.

No comments: